Why use a custom domain
Setting up a custom domain authorises SmileBack to send NPS survey emails from your company’s email domain. This is the domain your customers know and should have listed as a trusted sender. This will help make sure that your NPS survey emails arrive in your customer’s inboxes, and increase your chances of receiving a response. You can set up more than one custom domain if you want to use different domain for different campaigns.
Setting up your custom domain
Overview of how it works
- You need to have access to your company’s DNS settings
- You take SPF and DKIM keys from us
- You put those keys into your DNS record
- We verify that they are present and correct
Before you start
Setting up a custom domain means that you will update your company’s DNS records with some information from SmileBack. Before starting please make sure you have access to your DNS records or have identified who in your company will do this for you.
You can set up a custom domain when creating a campaign. In Step 2 when you configure the survey email click on “Set up your domain”. Or if you already have a custom domain and want to change it, you can access this through the settings.
- Enter the domain you want to send NPS emails from (this is without “https://www.” at the beginning.) then click “Update Domain”. You will then see unique SPF and DKIM keys for your company.
- Copy and paste each of these keys into the relevant section of your DNS records (if you are asked to choose a type of record, select "TXT"). Click “Copy” next to each one and so you can be sure that the entire text has been copied. Be careful not to add any extra characters into the keys.
- Once you have completed the last step, save the updates and return to SmileBack.
- You now need to click the “Verify your DNS” button to authenticate your settings. DNS record updates can take a little while to complete. If verification does not pass at first, double check the keys you entered into your DNS records. If they are correct, then wait for 15 minutes and try again.
- Once the update is complete you will be prompted to return to the campaign set-up where you will be able to set the from name and from address for you newly added domain.
- You can repeat these steps in a new campaign if you want to set up another custom domain.